Full course description
Date and Time
Tuesday 19 May 2020, 9.30 am to 3.30 pm
This learning event is right for you if you are a VCE Further Mathematics and/or General Mathematics teacher wanting to explore the problem solving or modelling assessment task
This one-day seminar will focus on developing the problem solving or modelling tasks for the two modules your school is delivering. The mathematics study design 2016 – 2021 requires a creative approach to developing SAC material that ensures the tasks are modelling or problem-solving, genuine in nature and not just an extended collection of Examination 2 questions.
Participants will be provided with a selection of modelling or problem solving starting points that will be used throughout the day. These will act as stimulus material to initiate discussions and then provide the focus of the task questions that will be posed and explored. The day will be broken into three sessions, each providing a hands-on opportunity to create usable tasks.
· Session 1: Developing a problem solving or modelling task linked to your first module. Starting points will be provided.
· Session 2: Linking your assessment to the problem solving or modelling task created in Session 1.
· Session 3: Developing a second problem solving or modelling task and linking it to your chosen assessment strategy. Starting points will be provided.
· opportunity to explore a range of starters for high quality school assessed coursework
· strategies for linking assessment to a task
· beginnings of tasks you can use in your school.
Kevin McMenamin is currently the Head of Mathematics Faculty at Mentone Grammar and has extensive experience in mathematics education in a number of Victorian schools and across all secondary levels. He has presented and facilitated many workshop sessions throughout Eastern Australia at various annual conferences covering a variety of areas, including digital technology use within the classroom, CAS calculator use in VCE examinations and enrichment opportunities using AMT materials. Kevin has also been involved in textbook writing, the production of digital content and the writing of VCE trial examinations.