Full course description
Date and Time
Monday 11 May to Friday 15 May 2020, 8.30 am to 4.30 pm
Independent Schools Victoria, 40 Rosslyn Street, West Melbourne
This learning event is right for you if you are teacher, parent, therapist or head of school interested in early childhood education
The Fuerstein Instrumental Enrichment (FIE) Basic program creates systematic, persistent and structured conditions to engage young children in problem solving by developing their ability to understand and elaborate information. Children learn to identify, isolate and practise the application of necessary concepts and efficient cognitive behaviours, facilitating the development of their social-emotional reasoning and adaptive functions. The Basic program provides them with a firm foundation to become skilful, analytic learners, considerate friends and contributing members of society.
FIE Basic consists of a set of playful learning activities that help teachers, therapists and parents 'mediate' the development of children's basic concepts and thinking skills according to the same theories of cognitive modifiabilty and mediated learning that have made the long lasting FIE program so successful.
- understanding of how to provide children with a firm foundation to become skilful and analytical learners
- strategies to help children develop general basic concepts
- methods to develop children's intrinsic motivation
- ways to support children to develop emerging cognitive functions such as self regulation, generalisation and conceptualisation
- strategies to provide instruction in interpersonal topics such as inferring, acting and behaving with thoughtful intelligence
Diane is an experienced educator who has worked at all levels of primary and secondary schooling over a number of years. She has held various leadership roles, most recently as Head of Junior School. Since retiring from this position her interest in education has not waned and she remains passionate about how we can inspire, facilitate and develop children's learning and thinking in all aspects of life.