Full course description
Date and time
Wednesday 20 March 2024, 4.00 pm to 5.00 pm
Online – a Zoom link will be provided 24 hours prior to the event
Looking to register more than one person? Contact us at isLearn to arrange a group discount for your school.
Explore the life cycle of classrooms and group dynamics within educational settings. Starting with the 'Connect' phase, educators will learn techniques to establish connections among students, fostering a sense of community. Moving into the 'Protect' stage, participants will explore strategies to manage conflicts and build a protective learning environment that promotes collaboration and mutual support.
Educators will discover how to nurture respect and guide their classes into the 'Respect' stage, where students work effectively towards common goals as well as addressing the 'ending' phase, focusing on how to celebrate achievements and facilitate positive transitions.
Practical activities will support educators in applying these strategies to create resilient school communities where connection, protection and respect are paramount. The content is designed to align with predictable times in the academic year, providing a timely and relevant roadmap for classroom development.
- understanding of the connection between Fuller's 'Connect, Respect and Protect' model fostering a strong sense of community from the beginning
- strategies to navigate conflict and transition by applying resolution strategies and group management techniques during the 'Protect' phase
- cultivate a supportive and collaborative learning environment by implementing norm-setting activities and team-building exercises
- ways to enhance student performance and class productivity by integrating respect-driven practices and recognising individual contributions
- strategies to facilitate meaningful closures and celebrate educational milestones with positive and reflective activities as the class year concludes.
Andrew Fuller is a clinical psychologist, family therapist, author, speaker and creator of Learning Strengths™. Andrew has worked with over 3,000 schools in Australia, NZ Asia and the UK and with more than 5000,000 young people on core elements of resilience - connect, protect and respect (CPR) and building The Resilient Mindset. Andrew Fuller is a Honorary Fellow at the University of Melbourne and has been a scientific consultant for the ABC and a regular presenter on Radio National. He has established programs for neuroscience and education and the promotion of mental health in schools, substance abuse prevention, and the reduction of violence and bullying, suicide prevention programs and for assisting homeless young people.
Link(s) to relevant VRQA Standards
- Curriculum and Student Learning – Student learning outcomes
- Care, Safety and Welfare of Students – Safe environment
- Care, Safety and Welfare of Students – Student behaviour management (discipline)