Full course description
Date and time
Monday 8 August 2022, 3.00 pm to 5.00 pm
Online – a Zoom link will be provided 24 hours prior to the event
This learning event is right for you if you are a primary or secondary school educator or leader looking for guidance on appropriate protocols to provide a welcoming school environment for Victoria’s Koorie communities, and for working respectfully with our Koorie community to enrich your curriculum.
The Victorian Aboriginal Education Association (VAEAI) has produced guidance on protocols for Koorie education in Victorian primary and secondary schools in response to requests from schools. The Protocols outline the foundational principles, procedures and behaviours requested of the education sector in Victoria in order to demonstrate respect to Koorie communities in Victoria. This session will provide an overview of the Protocols and provide an opportunity for schools to explore how they can be incorporated into their policies, procedures and learning programs.
To promote common understandings and ways of operating that affirm the status and place of Koorie Victorians in Member schools.
This learning event supports creating best practice toward meeting the following VRQA standard(s):
- School governance – Democratic Principles
- Curriculum and Student Learning – Curriculum framework
- Curriculum and Student Learning – Student learning outcomes
- Care, Safety and Welfare of Students – Safe environment
- Care, Safety and Welfare of Students – Child safety
- Staff Employment – Teachers’ requirements
Relevant Australian professional standards for teachers
3. Plan for and implement effective teaching and learning
4. Create and maintain supportive and safe learning environments
- deeper understanding of the Protocols for Koorie education in Victorian primary and secondary schools
- examples of good principles and practice
- opportunity to explore how the Protocols can be incorporated into policies, procedures and learning programs
- a diverse network of like-minded educators beyond the school.
Neville is a Yorta Yorta man from north-east Victoria and Executive Manager of Programs and Policy at the Victorian Aboriginal Education Association.