Full course description
Date and time
Thursday 13 May 10.00am to 12 noon
Online – a Zoom link will be provided 24 hours prior to the event
This learning event is right for you if you are not employed in a counselling role but are called upon to give others emotional support.
The focus of this workshop is on teaching the participants simple, practical strategies for assisting individuals who are sad, upset, bewildered, confused, angry or suicidal while clearly remaining within their role.
- The webinar will cover the following areas:
- the skills of the helper including the importance of empathy and when not to empathise
- understanding professional boundaries
- the difference between emotional support and counselling
- simple, practical strategies for supporting individuals who may be acutely emotionally distressed while keeping yourself safe and remaining in your role
- self-care for the worker.
This learning event supports creating best practice toward the following VRQA standard(s):
- Care, Safety and Welfare of Students – Safe environment
- Care, Safety and Welfare of Students – Child safety
- The minimum standards for schools offering a senior secondary course – Student welfare.
- understanding of professional boundaries
- strategies for supporting individuals who are emotionally disturbed
- information about self care.
David Cherry is a Clinical and Forensic Psychologist with extensive experience in working with children, adolescents and families where the child’s performance or behaviour in school has been a concern.David has provided training for teachers and other school staff for over 25 years on a broad range of topics including : Handling Difficult People, Behaviour and Situations; Managing Complaints and; Managing Difficult Calls.
Elspeth Adamson is currently Manager, Student Services at Independent Schools Victoria, where she works in the areas of students with individual needs and student wellbeing, as well as addressing parent concerns about their children’s education. Previously, she was a Head of Campus and Deputy Principal of a Victorian multi-campus Independent school, and a Principal of an international school in India.