Full course description
Date and time
Tuesday 30 July 2024, 10.00 am to 12.00 pm
In person in Carlton (further information regarding location will be provided to enrolled participants)
Teacher, Senior Leader
In a rapidly changing world of work, it is important for teachers to keep up to date with industry. By gaining current industry knowledge, teachers can ensure that what they teach is relevant to the real world. This relevance can make classroom learning more engaging for students and help prepare them for the future.
To give teachers the opportunity to learn more about industry, visits have been organised with various employers. These visits are open to all teachers and are not necessarily subject specific.
Please note all the industry visits are capped. Prior to the event, ISV will contact participants with further details.
Research highlights that teachers who have a greater understanding of industry can play a vital role in helping students to succeed in life beyond school.
The Melbourne Museum provides a fascinating insight into life in Victoria. Participants will be provided with an introduction to the museum and a tour of the collections. A highlight of the visit will be touring the back of house and learning about the workings of the museum.
- increased knowledge of industry by experiencing it first hand
- awareness of the role teachers can play in supporting students’ transition during school and beyond
- understanding of how teachers can link the insights gained from the visit into their teaching and curriculum, to reflect the changing needs of the workplace
- ideas to further support the development of students’ skills valued in current and future workplaces
- opportunity to learn from industry professionals, engage with industry and share knowledge with other teachers back at school.
Maria is the Education Consultant, Careers at Independent Schools Victoria. In her role, she provides high-level advice and support to Independent schools in relation to career education. Maria has a strong background in career development and education and has held leadership, consulting, teaching, lecturer, and career practitioner roles, in this field. She has diverse experience, having worked in schools, tertiary institutions, and corporate and government settings.
Link(s) to relevant VRQA Standards
- Curriculum and Student Learning – Student learning outcomes