Full course description
Date and time
Thursday 1 August 2024, 9.30 am to 3.30 pm
In person at ISV, 40 Rosslyn St, West Melbourne
School Leader, Teacher
Managing classroom behaviour is a process not an event. Effective teachers build and establish a toolbox of strategies made familiar to students by explicit teaching. This takes time and, just like teaching a curriculum, conscious thought about content and delivery is needed. Effective behaviour management is about selecting the right tool at the right time and delivered in the right way to fix the right problem. Effective teachers do a lot of maintenance to prevent things going wrong and understand the limitations of going for a quick or reactive fix.
Effective teachers make classroom expectations and norms explicit. They ‘teach’ a curriculum of behaviour so that students are clear about ‘how we will treat each other in our classroom’. They have a plan that includes a toolbox of strategies that work. This workshop will focus on the 4R’s toolbox which takes a developmental approach to discipline as ‘co-regulation, self-regulation and group-regulation’.
- decreased dependence on reactive disciplinary tools
- knowledge of how to be consistent with your discipline toolbox
- understanding of how to deliver a fair and inclusive toolbox
- ability to define discipline through a lifespan developmental lens
- four incredibly effective behaviour management tool hacks
- ability to integrate a range of behaviour related approaches including Restorative Practices, Assertive Discipline, SWPBS, Positive Education, Mindfulness, Glasser’s Quality Schools etc. into your own toolbox.
David Vinegrad is a well-known presenter with extensive experience in the area of behaviour management, both nationally and internationally. He has highly developed skills as a facilitator, trainer and presenter, and is widely recognised as an international expert on restorative justice and behaviour management. David has played a major role in the introduction of restorative practice into schools in Australia and internationally. He is an experienced counsellor and mediator, including high level management of critical incidents and school-based trauma. David has over 30 years of experience working with teachers and students in a variety of diverse educational settings.
Link(s) to relevant VRQA Standards
- Care, Safety and Welfare of Students – Safe environment